We know that it is very frustrating when your air conditioner is not working. Murphy’s Law is that the air conditioner will normally quit working on the hottest day of the year and/or you are expecting 20 guests in your home in three hours.
It is even more frustrating when the Service Technician shows up, works about 5 minutes “flips a switch” and hands you a bill for the service call. The service call fee can vary from $90 and up.
Before calling for service, you might want to consider checking the following items. Checking these items may prevent a service call or help us diagnose your system problem quicker.
- Check your filters and registers. We have found that this is one of the most common problems when a system doesn’t seem to be cooling enough or not functioning at all. An extremely dirty air filter can block air flow. In some cases, if the filter is really dirty it can shut the entire system down. Also, if the system doesn’t seem to be cooling enough check to make sure that all registers are open and not obstructed.
- Check the settings on your thermostat. Make sure the temperature control selector is set below the current room temperature, and the system switch is on the COOL or AUTO position. The fan switch should be set to ON for continuous airflow or AUTO if you want the blower to operate only while the air conditioner (or heat pump) is operating.
- Try to get the air conditioner (or heat pump) to turn on by lowering the thermostat to its lowest temperature setting.
- Check power disconnect switch by each unit (outdoor and indoor).
- Check the fuse/breaker at the electrical panel for both the outdoor and indoor unit.
If the problem persists, please call us. We offer 24 hour emergency service with no overtime rates for after hours or weekend service. You can give us a call or fill out the form below (for non-emergency service).
Provide us some details and the experts at T.A. Kaiser will get your appointment scheduled. In order to follow up with you, some information below is required. (None of this information will be shared with others.)[contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"]